May 17, 2022
Request for Proposal: Historic Research
Request for Proposal: Historic Research
Issue Date: 2 May 2022
Send Submissions To: firstname.lastname@example.org
Buffalo Niagara Heritage Village (BNHV), in collaboration with the Niagara Falls National Heritage Area (NFNHA), seeks to enter into a contract with an independent scholar to conduct comprehensive historical research regarding the history and contributions of historically underrepresented communities in the history of agriculture in the Buffalo Niagara region.
The researcher is to utilize local and digital primary and secondary sources to compile a report on the subject which can be used by BNHV and NFNHA in the development of programming, exhibits, and other efforts.
BNHV/NFNHA will award a contract for the work to be performed once project funding is secured.
Buffalo Niagara Heritage Village (BNHV) is a private, 501-c (3) not-for-profit museum and historic village. BNHV’s mission is to preserve, interpret, and exhibit the agricultural history and rural heritage of the Buffalo Niagara region. http://bnhv.org/.
The Niagara Falls National Heritage Area is one of 55 National Heritage Areas in the United States. Designated by the United States Congress in 2008, its mission is to preserve, protect and promote the historic, natural and cultural resources of the area stretching from Niagara Falls to Old Fort Niagara in Youngstown, New York. Niagara Falls National Heritage Area (discoverniagara.org)
Scope of Work:
The research shall include but not be limited to:
- Conduct preliminary research to identify and prepare preliminary report on:
- Availability, scope, and content of existing information on historically underrepresented communities in the history of Buffalo Niagara agriculture
- Current representations of the research subject in regional public history
- Current regional preservation efforts, or lack thereof, related to the research subject
- Work with BNHV/NFNHA staff to determine research questions, sources, and objectives of main research
- Utilize local and digital primary and secondary sources to compile factual information on the activities, contributions, and cultural and societal factors surrounding historically underrepresented communities and individuals in Buffalo Niagara agricultural history
- Synthesize information into a comprehensive report which can be used by BNHV and NFNHA to aid in developing preservation and public history initiatives that incorporate and/or highlight the history of historically underrepresented communities in Buffalo Niagara agriculture. The report will also serve as a foundation for future research and preservation efforts.
- All work is to be conducted over the course of 1,000 contracted hours to be completed within twelve (12) calendar months.
The following qualifications are required:
- Experience conducting and completing high-level scholarly research, demonstrated via publication record, of PhD, or similar.
- Knowledge of and experience working in the historical subject areas of agricultural history, social and cultural history, Black Studies, Indigenous Studies, or other related subject.
- Strong research skills, including experience working with archives.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Strong organization and ability to work within prescribed time frames and meet deadlines.
Guidelines for Submission:
Individuals wishing to be considered for this project should submit the following materials:
- Letter of interest and date of availability to start work on the project
- Statement of qualifications, including list of previous research experience and publications
- Statement of disclosure of any actual or potential conflict that may impact ability to perform the duties of the contract within the prescribed timeframe and to the best interests of BNHV/NFNHA
- Schedule of fees
- Confirmation that work can be conducted within the prescribed time frame: 1,000 hours to be completed over the course of twelve (12) calendar months
- Names and contact information of three references who can attest to quality of work performed within the past five years.
All responses should be submitted to Carrie Stiver, email@example.com. Please, no phone calls.
Submissions must be received by Friday, 20 May 2022.