About the Lavocat House
Year Built: ca. 1840
Sponsored By: Currently Not Sponsored
This house was located on New Road in Amherst, NY, between Millersport Highway and Tonawanda Creek Road. The original section of the farmhouse was constructed with a technique called “nogging,” which utilized rough brick masonry used to fill in the open spaces of the wooden frame. This type of construction helped prevent fires from spreading and made temperature changes less rapid, keeping the house more comfortable. Stop by the newer kitchen wing for weaving demonstrations.