About the Hoover House
Year Built: c. 1875-1880
Sponsored By: Erie and Niagara Insurance Association
Owned by George Hoover from 1854 to 1883, this house was originally located at the northwest intersection of Dodge and Glen Oaks Roads. A successful businessman, Mr. Hoover sold farm machinery from the office wing of the house. The home was later owned by Adam Schworm for whom the hamlet of Swormsville, NY, was later named.
What YOUR support will do…
Although much restoration work has been completed on the home, more is needed. Our plan includes a new roof for the building and restoration of the second floor including a fire escape. The long range plan for the dwelling will also include the construction of a barn based on an 1880 engraving of the house and property.
The annual cost associated with the maintenance of the Hoover House, as well as desired projects needed to meet Buffalo Niagara Heritage Village’s goals as an educational center, is estimated at around $10,000. A five year pledge of $50,000 is needed to better care for the structure, interpret the dwelling, and align Buffalo Niagara Heritage Village with the New York State Core Curriculum for our visiting classroom students. Such supported projects will also directly increase admission numbers and help the museum become a self-sustaining center for learning and tourism.
Your support will help the highly trained staff at Buffalo Niagara Heritage Village:
- Restore the roof of the entire house (2014)
- Complete work needed to maintain the building on an annual basis
- Stabilize and see to the structural needs of the house as per our Conservation Assessment Report (2015)
- Restore the second floor interiors and furnishings (2015-2016)
- Construct a fire escape in the rear of the building to allow visitor admission to the second level as per the Town of Amherst fire code (2016)
- Redo and add historically-appropriate fencing and landscaping to the house (2017)
- Reconstruct the historic barn seen in the original engraving of the house (2018-2019)